she did it again. "Confidence: Reliance on the Spirit" by Aunt Peggy

There were a lot of contrasting opinions surrounding this book.  But I was determined to keep an open mind, while maintaining a balanced view as I read it, in order to give a quality review.

My opinion changed many times while this story unfolded, perhaps because I was thinking too much.  I didn't want to overlook anything.  I wanted to give the story my full attention.  It was worth it.  I was very impressed.  Though I know this contradicts the opinions of some, I must be honest.
This book is a fiction story about a young woman, for young women, the second book in a 5-part series.  It picks up right where the first book left off, making it easy for the reader to jump right into the story, and removing the need for too much additional stage-setting information.  Instead, we get to know the main character, Lilia, much better.  The first book covered all her accomplishments, habits and relationships; this one dove right in to show her deepest desires, confusions, challenges, and life changes.  Like the first book, Lilia's circumstances never get boring, as her talents and beauty bring her all sorts of triumphs and trouble. 

Unlike the first book, this book addresses the issue of sexuality squarely in the face.  This, of course, was why some disapproved of the book.  I had a different reaction.  I remember being around that age, and going through so much of the emotional road Lilia traveled, but going through it blind.  I had a horribly wrong view of intimacy, and I struggled because of it.  Lilia's story matched so well to my experience, I believe if I had read this book while I was that age, my decisions would have been a whole lot better.  This book satisfies some curiosity of the teenager not with shallow teen aged intimacy, but good examples of love and commitment by parents.  It shows that it's possible to do what's right, why we should do so, and plays out the rewards of those who do.  It also shows how Lilia's feelings and desires change through time and experience.  And it shows all of this under the loving, guiding Christian hands of Lilia's parents and grandparents.

Lilia's life is truly transformed in this book, from the role of the fun-loving farm girl, to the station of competent and passionate celebrity and artist -- though she can't seem to get rid of that kiddish streak, one moment showing all the maturity of an adult, and the next disappearing to pull yet another outrageous (and sometimes dangerous) prank.  She leads people to Christ in one scene, and throws deafening fits the next.  The story makes it seem like that's just part of who she is...or perhaps it's the job of her beau to tame her.  He gets furious at times with her antics, but deep down seems to not ever want her to change...or at least not to lose that fire that makes her so amazing.

Over all this is a well written story, but somewhat incomplete on it's own.  You'll definitely want to read Innocence: Simplicity of Spirit first, or you just won't understand the enormity of Lilia's gifts.  I love how her parents stay solid in her and their lives, but also show their humanity by changing their judgments when needed.  Lilia's character becomes much deeper and more real than ever.  Whereas the first book bounced back and forth among the lives of Lilia's loved ones, the loved ones stay somewhat stagnant in this piece, causing the reader to follow Lilia's story closer and with more interest.  It also thoroughly showed the hardships of the talented and successful.  Theirs is not a perfect life.  It's very easy to empathize with Lilia, and every mishap teaches an important lesson about life, from a Christian-in-the-real-world perspective.  



















I can't wait to read the third book that just came out!

0 comments:

Post a Comment