after birthday perspective

I had a mediocre birthday. And I didn't blog on my birthday. For a sometimes perfectionist, that drives me crazy after the big deal I made of it, but, what can I say? The day started in a not-so-good mood and then got better, but also busier. I had house to clean, Eddy to take care of, a baby shower to go to, then straight over to choir practice, a quick bite, the church service, out to dinner with my dad, and home to bed early for more choir in the morning. Blogging was not on the schedule.

Birthdays are a big deal to me. And in the past a day like my yesterday would've broken me down and taken a long time to recover from (aside from the great dinner with Dad and his wife Linda. Thanks, guys!). But even without too much glamor, one nice thing about my birthday this year was that I had a glimmer of maturity about it (wow, where did that come from?). I realized everything doesn't have to be about me (I'm still working on that lesson).

Lately I have been thinking about missions for my church and family and about a friend in the hospital. Friday was spent devoted to Eddy, Saturday I got to shower a friend-who's-expecting with gifts and hugs and catching up, then I got to help serve the church with sincere music to the Lord. Sunday had more of the music, plus hugs and prayers for a couple with a baby loved one in the hospital, a listening ear for a friend, and group acceptance and prayer for another struggling friend. And in thinking on others I found joy! Life is not about me. Besides, I got tons of good wishes from tons of friends and family, many of which I rarely hear from! How cool is that? So I decided I shouldn't weigh others down with silly daydreams that didn't come true, and instead I should love them.

A great after birthday perspective for the good and bad birthdays of life: Love your neighbor as yourself.

3 comments:

Sister Suz said...

Wow Nomie that hit home for me! I also see my birthday as a big deal, and remember crying quite a bit as a teen the night of my birthday since it wasn't as great as I wanted. Thanks for the perspective!

Kathy J said...

=) Remember "If you want a GREAT Birthday, you must advertise for weeks ahead!!" quote by Uncle Peanut Butter!! (I think the year he said this he had 37 people make a surprise party for him with lots of presents!! =)

Naomi Esther said...

I'm glad, Suzy. I did the same thing as a teenager. It's a hard lesson to learn, but so rewarding =)

Post a Comment