finding my keys

I lose things way too easily!  I lose everything from clothing to money, food, receipts, appliances...anything mobile really.

A couple weeks ago I went to a grill out / campfire party at Julie's house and lost the keys to my car.  It got dark  long before we left, so several friends and I had to search through the grass with flashlights under logs, around the fire, under blankets, chairs, the hammock, in the house, in the windows of the locked car, and everywhere else we could think of.  In desperation I called Dan, and got the spare key!  Hooray!  I could go home.  I looked everywhere in the car, thinking I'd locked the key in.  Nope.  Julie agreed to keep her eye out for it when daylight came, so Eddy & I went home.

The day past, the weekend past, but no key.  I asked Julie every time I saw her, with no avail.  I kept an eagle's eye on the spare key, which I took to Afton that week and the next and now used as the main key.  Without key chain or unlock button to aid me in hauling Eddy, I became even more frustrated with my carelessness.  Were the keys lost forever?  No one at the party seemed the type to steal something to be mean, but could they have taken them by mistake?  I checked Eddy's diaper bag, my purse and the car over and over, still with no success.

I finally gave up.  When preparing to come back to Eau Claire this weekend, I decided to go the extra mile and clean out Eddy's old water bottle--long residing in his diaper bag side pocket--so he could use it again.  As I lifted it from its spot I breathed a sigh of consternation and relief, and ran to show Dan...what else? The keys!  I had put them in a safe spot to begin with.  They were never out of my reach, and never locked in the car.  It is so refreshing to have a spare again for emergencies, and to pop Eddy in and out safely and keep the car locked.  Now, if only I could find my hat...

1 comments:

Kathy J said...

HaHa, I love how you write about stuff Nomi - captivating! How about - "a place for everything and everything in it's place!" =)

Post a Comment