highschoolers

Last night I got to spend two hours with thirty of the greatest people at our church -- the high school group.  Thanks to a precocious ten-year-old, a laid back mom, and a convicting message on Sunday (let's not get into the why), I got to attend a high school group hosted by the pastor's wife, at their house south of town.  High schoolers can be some of the greatest people around, full of dreams and motivation and issues, and ready to take on life.  I really identify with them, and I really wanted to get to know some of them more, maybe I'd even get to help them out in some way.  Unfortunately my schedule doesn't exactly lend itself well to being a small group leader.  But for one night only, I got my chance.

I recognized a couple of the girls in the Berthiaume's backyard when I arrived.  But mostly I was nervous and didn't know how to approach anyone.  Thankfully I wasn't the only "old person" there, and since everyone started out by having to paint letters on their faces, the ice melted quickly.  Next came games.  The theme: FEAR-FACTOR.  I think I was the youngest old person there last night, and I was shocked at the yellow-bellied nature of the other leaders!  Thankfully, they said it was all right for me to jump in with the high schoolers (who, I found out, weren't much better -- I guess it's not an age thing after all).  Everyone got slimed with egg, tasted dog food, got splattered with jello and whipped cream from a bug digging race, and a lucky few even got to bob through red water for pig's feet!  I considered it a privilege to get to do something with this group of people who are usually pretty sectioned off (and yes, I bobbed for pig's feet).

After games there was a short message on fear and super-small group time to pray for each other.  This was my favorite part.  I got to know the four girls in my circle better in those five minutes than in the previous five months of casual conversations after church.  Plus I was able to rest some fears of unknowns about college for them and got to pray with them.

During the service on Sunday, we were told that you can never be too old to reach out to teenagers.  May I add that you can't be too young either?  If high schools set seniors up to help freshmen coming in, certainly no high school graduate should feel ill-equipped to talk to them.  You've been there and made it through.  That's big.

Thanks, high schoolers, for befriending me, and teaching me a lesson on life.  Hopefully I'll see you again soon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment