old fashioned work

All the books, talks, mentors, schedules, vacations, and plans will not make up for work.  That old unglamorous notion somehow never loses power.  It's how God made us, I guess.

My life has been a ruckus lately.  Decisions and situations can't stop throwing me curve balls, and I'm not a good aim.  It's been easy to excuse getting behind every day.  And people are so understanding.  Truth is, though, I haven't given good ol' work enough credit.

Well, nature has been too generous to ignore, so even after an errand that stretched three hours too long, I had to get Eddy and me outside.  There was much to be done, and no more snowy excuses!  It was work.  Try keeping a 3.5-year-old boy on task with a good attitude, and you'll know it was work.  But somehow I knew it would turn out right.

Of course, sun, fresh air, and natural beauty played their parts well.  But theirs were not the only parts.  Somewhere in that buckle-down consistency rose a steadiness, which emerged into pleasantness.  That soon became happy determination, and out of nowhere popped grand satisfaction in a job done -- and done well.

Freedom and fun gained their color!  Excitement got new batteries!  And our little team was nicer to each other, having helped each other finish, being on the same side again.  Never has something that looked so stern when approaching, turned out so kind and helpful.  Then again, maybe that has happened before...when I met God.

He made us well.  No matter what mess we've made of this world, turn back to how you were intended, and you'll still see glimpses of how things were...in the beginning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment