old friends

I planned on sharing today the joys of knitting and Februarys (my newfound hobby and the month of my always loved and anticipated birthday, respectively), but there is something even better.

I don't know how many of you currently have friends you had while you were kids. Perhaps it's commonplace for you, perhaps not. In my experience, long-lived friendships are rare. Maybe it's because of this fact that I find so much jubilee in what I have. What work it is to make friends, to step out and meet people, to get to know them, to become familiar, and sometimes it never comes to fruition. But, an old friend who knows you and is open with you, who accepts you and is relaxed with you, who lets her kids play with yours, and who never gets offended at your slip ups, is a haven...dare I say a treasure?

I had never known true happiness in relationships until I cultivated them for over 10 years...my family...my husband...and a select few of others. Sure, I had great times with people, felt a fondness for some, became close to some, but they were fleeting and in that way were disappointing. In retrospect they become just events, rather than assets, because they didn't endure Time. However, friendships over time are seen in all their shades, for they witness the change of each other and their circumstances, and react accordingly. Finally they come to know each other's true person, underneath their age or trials or joys or hindrances. And finally the masks are set aside.

Then can you drink of the sweetness of memories together, you can speak truth and encourage, effectively. You can just spend some time resting without the stress of appearances! That in itself is a treasure.

Friendships come in all shapes, sizes, colors and flavors, and some are more involved than others, but my statement still stands. Rest is in lasting through time and torment, and remaining friends.

1 comments:

Lukas VanDyke said...

Haha I still talk to Aaron Wishart. =). We've been friends for 29 years now.

Post a Comment