progress

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God."
Hebrews 12:1

God is always at work.  Those who have a relationship with him, who seek nothing else but his presence, will always move forward.  He will not abandon his cause in us.  There is one remedy for all emptiness or stagnancy: go to God.  In one way or another he will tell you to run the race...and he'll equip you for it.


I used to think I was hopelessly stuck in my current sins.  I wouldn't have admitted it, of course.  I would tell myself over and over that Jesus had it covered, the author and perfecter of our faith...but my feelings of imprisonment remained.  Now I realize how dimwitted I was.  He's opened my eyes.  I look back on my life now and see his work, his equipping.  I see my progress.

I believe a person's actions are the manifestation of who they are inside, their heart, their soul, the nature they have either always had, or that was transformed once and for all by God's free gift atonement.  This they will have through eternity.  But even that doesn't rule out progress.  I'll tell you why.

The girl who studies to learn her schoolwork and eventually gets an A on the test can be compared to her sister who complains and puts off homework and fails.  They progressed at different levels in their learning, but their hearts remained constant throughout: one a diligent student, the other a lazy student.  The same principle is true in the Christian life.  God shows us our new nature by showing us our new life, our new reactions to things, and our varying degrees of developed maturity, wisdom, love, assurance, faith.  None of us is truly stuck in the sins we deal with if we have a new nature.  Our circumstances or physical or mental health my change or stay the same, but our hearts are hardwired to pull toward God, and he will show us the impact it has on our lives and others'.

We can't conclude about others' hearts because we don't know the innumerable factors that weigh into their actions, and even our own hearts trick us.  But God holds the truth.  He will confirm the hearts of his children.  "The Spirit himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God." (Romans 8:16)

God would have us run the race, and he is author of our faith, so he has it covered.  He will not abandon his plan.  I've known that for a long time.  What I didn't quite get was that it's TRUE.  Obey God.  Run the race.  Seek him.  Love him with all your heart, soul, and mind.  Hunger after righteousness!  And he will turn your eyes to the path behind you and show you the changes, the growth, the difference in your life.  And even if that change is invisible to everyone else in the world, he will encourage you with it.  For everything you see back there that causes you anguish, bring it to God, and start the process again.  He will always be working in you.

My heart overflows with joy at what he's done to my life...completely transformed....

"In all things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us."

"For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers."

Romans 8:37b & 29

2 comments:

Suzy VanDyke said...

This is exactly what I have been thinking about lately. You should come visit and we could chat about it over a nice cup of tea ;)

Naomi Esther said...

Sounds wonderful.

Post a Comment