Eddy's smile

Eddy has a very cute smile.  His eyes start to sparkle and he shows all those little kid teeth, pushing his chubby cheeks out into soft red apples, and batting his long lashes when he's tickled.  His curls frame all of that perfectly.  As he grows, he's losing some of his baby face, but gaining so much dimension, purpose, and meaning behind those deep eyes.  His smile keeps me coming back for more...more playtime, more tickles, more surprises, more fun.  I love making him happy, making him smile.

Today as he sat in a time-out in the grass in our garden, Eddy asked me something.  I was explaining how he needed to obey mommy, and he asked very calmly and sincerely, "Why?"  Hmmm... That one is hard to unravel in the abstract for a two-year-old.  I tried to make it simple.  It makes God happy when you obey.  It makes mommy and daddy happy.  It makes you happy.  He questioned the last part, understandably so.  Obviously the reason he was being punished was because mommy told him to do something that didn't make him happy.  But I planted a seed of understanding.  I want him to be happy.  And I will see so much more of that happy smile if he learns how to cooperate.  I love seeing that smile.

1 comments:

Kathy J said...

Yep, that's what Mom's live for!! Making their kids happy....the hard part is we see the BIG picture of "happy" and kids only see the "right now" of happy.

Post a Comment